1 Comment// Posted in Uncategorized by admin on 05.30.12.
This is a new blog post chain – My Favorite Web Dev Things. It’s purpose – sharing great tools and services with other web developers.
These are the rules
- Copy-paste the rules.
- List your favorite tools, libraries, and services for web development.
- List obvious ones as well, they may not be obvious to others.
- Tag other web dev bloggers and let them know.
- Link back to the post that tagged you.
These are a few of my favorite web dev things:
- Aptana - It’s free, speaks any language, and version 3 is great. I love how I can edit remote files via FTP, synch them locally, and commit it all to a local GIT repository.
- HTML5 Reset WordPress Theme – Excellent blank slate theme with all the best practices and HTML5 Boiler Plate built-in. I’ve also seen the Roots Theme and it looks quite cool though I haven’t used it yet.
- W3C Total Cache – Amazing WordPress plugin that speeds up WP sites like mad. Can’t live without it, can’t believe it’s free.
- CSS Sprites Generator – Easy to use sprites generator. Lacks some features, but definitely helps and saves loads of time.
- Run PHP Code Online – When you’re too lazy to create some test file.
- Firebug for Firefox – ‘Nough said. Some people moved to Chrome for web dev, but it still doesn’t beat the comfort of Firebug.
- jScrollPane – The best jQuery scrolling plugin ever. It’s so good that I wrote a separate post for it.
- Online YUI Compressor – minify your JS scripts without having to run that annoying command line tool.
- Balsamiq – Super intuitive tool for wireframing. Napkee even turns the wireframes into actual working web pages.
- Paint.net – Great for doing super-basic graphic work and for measuring pixel sizes and capturing colors.
- VMWare Player – Runs virtual machines for free. You can create virtual disks with QEMU, here are example instructions for Win XP.
- TeamViewer – Connects me to my customers’ desktops to debug voodoo browser problems remotely.
- Google Apps – Obvious, but too few use it. Gives me Gmail, docs, calendar, and everything for my idosius.com domain.
Tagging: Shay.co, A List Apart
One Response to “My Favorite Web Dev Things”
Leave a Reply